Monday 15 August 2011

Shimelle's Cyber Crop - Grid

Well, I'm still busily finishing off the Explore Prompts, but found some time on Sunday to do a couple of Challenge layouts. Much easier now that my Husband is back from the States and can keep an eye on Baby. Both very happy to be back together. :)

I started with the Grid challenge. I've never been very good at multiple photo layouts, but these days I'm trying to get as much scrapped as I can. The photos of Baby just keep multiplying, my time keeps decreasing and I still haven't scrapped huge chunks of my past that keep slipping further into the past

So I decided that the grid would be photos and the papers would be The Thrift Shop by October Afternoon, because they've been calling me for a while now to play with them again. The first thing I saw was this:


It's already in a grid and mine was half used, so I thought I'd pop out the remaining cards and use them on a layout with cut down photos. The backs of the journalling cards are all patterned paper and I figured I'd be more likely to use them as plain shapes than journalling cards. However, when the cards were all removed, I was left with a negative space that looked like a bunch of little photo frames with a small border of pattern around each one.

I abandoned the original plan and did this instead:

The tartan paper is from October Afternoon's Road Map collection, but the rest of it is The Thrift Shop. Very happy that I managed to use the leftover sheet rather than throwing it away. I'll make sure I keep an eye on all other negative spaces produced by popping out diecuts in the future.

4 comments:

MiniOwner said...

Now that is clever. Love this page.
Sue x

susibee said...

Excellent idea Laura and it looks super. I might have to do that at some point!

Ann Freeman (mafswife) said...

very neat idea indeed! Super thrifty!

Els said...

Oh! Looks great!! Never thought about using my leftovers for this! Great work!!